Friday, July 25, 2008

DAY 23

Today I checked out of the noisy Green Tortoise in Seattle. There are a ton of interesting travelers from all over, but there are just as many kids looking to party. I am relieved to be staying on an island in the Puget Sound, away from the noise.

During the school year I get up between 7 and 8:30. I've conditioned myself to get up with out an alarm, which is wonderful because alarms and I don't get along. Most days on this trip, I've been waking up between 5:30-8:30. I love it! The morning is my favorite time of day, when the air is cool, and the sun is coming up. I love the colors in the sky and the birds singing. The day is perfect and anything can be accomplished. Today was another morn of waking up at 5:30.

The ferry ride was beautiful going to Vashon Island. The island is so small that the hostel told me to call them when I got to the grocery store and they'd pick me up! The one thing they forgot to mention when I booked over the phone was that they wouldn't pick me up before noon. I took a commuter ferry to Vashon at7:30 because I was so excited to get here. In stead of going straight to the hostel, I went grocery shopping, ate at a cafe, juggled in the park, an visited the little library. It was very small and homey like the Rancho Cordova library. While at the library I picked up a book called, "You still can't eat mount Rainer" by William Speidel back in 1961. FYI an elevator ride to the top of the space needle was $1.50 back then. Now it's about $16. Speidel is a local who raves about "Seattle Spirit" and the fighting nature of the locals. Reading his stories made me reconsider liking Seattle. I just was in a loud part of town.

Around 1pm I checked into hostel. It has covered wagons, tee pees, private rooms and dorms. I lucked out and spent my first night in a tee pee! Each tee pee is painted with an animal. Fittingly mine was a butterfly (that use to be my favorite animal).













(My tee pee on Vashon Island. As you can tell, it was super dirty. I slept outside the second night. But I was still excited to be in a tee pee. Most of my childhood I was dressed up as an Indian. Now I finally got to sleep in a teepee!!!)

The hostel is backed up to a 100 acre wood, so I had to go check it out. I didn't find Christopher Robin, but I did find huge banana slugs!!! I took a picture of the two of us! I'll be posting it here, once I get the film developed. The Forest was very over grown and green with lots of birds chirping at me. The biggest wildlife I saw was a duck, but it was still very enjoyable. It's irritating that I often don't know what I need until I experience it. As soon as I started my hike, I realized that this is what I've been needing. I've been going from big city to city (loving it mind you) but still searching for something. I forgot how refreshing it is to be outside where it's green, quiet, surrounded by animals.




















(I found a giant, yellow slug! I thought about eating it.)














(But he begged me not to, so we made peace.)

I was so excited about sleeping in a tee pee, I had to take a nap. I slept great. I wonder if my landlord would let me build one in the backyard? I think he would.

After my nap it was snack time in the log cabin then play time in the field. I was messing around with juggling, seeing how high I would throw the balls. I'm guessing they went about 20 feet. It hurt to catch them, they where coming down so fast!

Silly me packed only white pants, so I've been wearing green shorts with my purple fencing socks pulled way up!! Good thing I am not trying to impress anyone.

I hung out in the barn and played pool with one of the kids that works here. There where lots of missing balls and duct tape on the felt, so we played for fun. I still kicked his butt! I get so competitive over little things. hehe I won.

By then, it was dark, so I joined Dennet and her 9 year old son. They shared their smore's with me. They are such wonderful folks. It was great talking with them and sharing stories.

I spent a pretty warm night in my tee pee!!! I had a foam mattress and a sleeping bag. It's something I want to do again for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment