Wednesday, July 16, 2008

DAY 15















































I spent a wonderful day with the 2 youngest of the family I am staying with in Monmouth, OR. They were my personal tour guides, along with the kittens and the dog, of the garden, 2 forts, climbing the oak tree. Then the girls took me on a berry picking walk where we ate wild blueberries, blackberries and cherries. We found some horses to feed some grass, which was definitely the highlight for the girls.

Back at the house, the 3 of us played Scrabble and talked about our favorite author, Tamora Pierce. I learned that she has written more books!!! I can't wait to read them. I blogged for a bit, while the youngest practiced her piano (it was beautiful to listen too. I could get use to that.)














(View from the train.)

Lori and the 2 youngest girls drove me to the Amtrak station in Salem. I went back home to Portland (I really love it here) and checked into a hostel. For a couple hours I made plans, lists and phone calls that have been put off. I now have a more solid idea of where and what I'll be doing for the next couple of weeks. Things are lining up beautifully, which to me, shows me that I am doing and heading to where I am supposed to be going.

I was walking around downtown when a local recommended a place for dinner. He wasn't creepy, but he thankfully didn't invite himself to join me. The place was like Mel's diner at home in SF, with the same quality food. I was really hungry and but didn't want to spend much, so I ordered chili. It was only $4 and filling. The unfortunate thing was that it was canned chili.

I headed to Wholefoods, where I love to buy and eat amazing food there. I had to get fresh blueberries for dessert and a bottle of hard cider. Another thing that I adore about Oregon is the selection of hard cider. Since I can't drink beer because I am allergic to gluten in the wheat, cider is a great alternative. There was an employee stationed on the beer aisle, asking to help anyone who was looking at the chilled beers! I love it.

From there I took my dessert and cider to the park. It's been in the 90's all day. I am loving it. I hung out, listening to the musicians in the park. I wrote some postcards and practiced my juggling! I am getting more confident about making mistakes in front of strangers, since I drop the balls often. This is so good for me. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. As I was putting away my cherry & assorted fruits, seeds and soy (you are not the only one who eats ultra healthy snacks), I noticed that you left behind something

    Your dried and sweetened hibiscus flowers.

    I just might sneak a niblle on a petal or two...or more. :-)

    ReplyDelete