Wednesday, July 2, 2008

DAY 2














(I took a walk by the Sacramento River)


Today was a day of planning.
At my mom's house, I hemmed several pairs of pants because my machine needs a cleaning. My sewing machine is a travel Singer sewing machine from the 20s. It was my great grandmothers. We use to sew together. She took it with her to make clothes for her and my great grandpa when they drove an RV around the US. I love oiling it and the smell of the oil. I wish quality machinery like my Singer was still the standard.

I set up a tour of the Sacramento Recycle and transfer station. About a month ago, I took a tour of the transfer station in SF and was all sorts of jazzed up about the 3 R's: reduce, reuse and recycle. Now I want to pass this onto my mom, aunt and 3 cousins. We are going tomorrow!

Check out their web site for great information on recycling and fun games. Think about scheduling your own tour to learn about what can be recycled and how it works.

Sacramento Recycling and Transfer Station
379-0500

Kiefer Landfill
875-7165

Around 6 pm I was going nuts from being inside all day, so I took a walk by the river. I forgot how peaceful it is down there. Two flocks of turkeys and a family of quails crossed my path. I saw some kayakers and now I want to go. Maybe I will in Oregon.

I picked up a whistle/compass for my trip. For part of the time, I am hoping to stay in a furnished cabin, so I am bringing the essentials: first aid kit, knife, matches, lighter, headlight, warm clothes, travel blanket. I am looking for a rustic cabin that has the bare necessities (I feel a song coming on...) like blankets, cooking equipment, blankets, walls, roof and a mattress.

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to eat fruit that I haven't heard of before. It's been a while since I bought anything bizzar. Today broke that. I had a yellow rinded melon with sweet green flesh. I can't remember the name, but I got it from Trader Joes. All I remember is that it starts with a "K". While I was searching for it on the web, I found an interesting site on different kinds of melons. I had no idea that there are so many! Now I want to try them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment