Thursday, July 10, 2008

DAY 9













(Me at the top of Rocky Butte, Portland. Photo by one of the Waynes.)

For once I didn't wake up right at 8:30. Instead I had a lazy morning, drinking coffee, eating granola and yogurt, while sitting in the beautiful backyard.

I finally got moving by noon to go for a bike ride. A few days ago, Mary Anne took me to the library (yes, I am a nerd) and I checked out a book on bike trails in Portland. I marked with an inky pen the path on my laminated map of the city. In case you are interested the book is called "Rubber to the road, vol. 2" by Otis Rubottom. In the book it has the number for the miles for each trail. I went with trail #1, twin peaks. It was 20 miles, but because of time, I biked half of it. I chugged up Rocky Butte and Mt. Tabor (the only inactive volcano within city limits in the US).

Mary Anne's sister, Deb, lent me her bike, which was so awesome of her. It was my first time riding on street tires. It wasn't scary or hard to balance like I imagined. I don't like to hop curbs or do anything that makes the wheels leave the ground, so I loved using the light weight bike. The pedals are made for the shoes that clip in, which I could of worn, but I didn't know how to unclip them when stopped at red lights. I figured it was too much newness at once. Biking in the city by myself and having skinny tires was enough for now. At the end of the ride, I was confident and really wanting to wear the shoes. It was pretty difficult to push hard when biking up hill on the micro sized pedals.













(The bike in question. It was so light and easy to ride!!)

Thanks to Ian, I knew how to pump up the tires, shift gears and change the height of the seat. (Now you know how little I knew about bikes before meeting my boy friend.) I wheeled the bike to the gas station and used the pump there. (Another trick I learned from Ian.)

I biked around NE and SE Portland. I stopped a lot to take pictures (which is still embarrassing acting like a tourist) and reading the map. Several locals offered directions, even though my trail was marked on my map. People here are so friendly. At the top of the very long and steep Rocky Butte, I met Wayne and his friend Wayne (no joke). They were having a reunion for being friends for 40 years. They went to the same elementary school in Portland. Wayne (you guess which one) told me that the top of Rocky Butte use to have a quarter midget track (those are little go carts). Now it's a pretty, grassy park with flowers. The view from there was amazing. 360 view of the city. There was a pedestal with arrows naming the mountains with their elevation. i.e. Mt. Saint Helen's in Washington at 8,300 ft, Mt. Hood in Oregon at 11,000 feet and Mt. Tabor at 641 feet. Looking down on Portland it was a sea of green. There are so many trees here! I love it. It was amazing seeing snow capped mountains all around me. I could see Washington from here! I can't wait to go there!















(Mt. Hood in Oregon)

Wayne told me that the US Olympic ski team practices on Mt. Hood because other than Alaska, it's the only mountain in the US that has snow on it year round. The team practices on the glaciers there! No thank you. It scared me just thinking about it. Apparently if you do ski there, don't bring your own equipment, because they salt the runs at night to melt the ice.

From Rocky Butte I got lost getting to Mt. Tabor. It wasn't that I couldn't find the mountain, I just got distracted by the huge gardens and missed my turn. The trees here are big firs. I can't believe that I was in the middle of a city with all that nature! There are also several reservoirs, an amphitheater and a kid's summer camp was going on. Wayne and Wayne, in high school, use to skateboard here during school, then get on probation for it.













(A typical house in the Hollywood district.)














(A steel dragon, that I found on my bike ride.)

After 2.5 hours of biking I made it back to the house and ate lunch: left overs of tom yum soup, veggies and hummus and scottie dogs! I just learned that licorice scottie dogs don't have gluten!















All day, Mary Anne painted her portrait for color and design. She picked a great photo of a sailor to paint. I think it looks great. It was tons better than most of my class, when I took it 3 years ago. Way to go!

I was in for a rough afternoon of tanning in the backyard and doing an activity from "What color is your parachute?" by Richard Bolles. Ian and I are figuring out our flower chart. It's a way of organizing everything that I want on one piece of paper. It will have my top 10 transferable skills and traits, places to live, my values, people I like to work with. Today I figured out my top traits.

1. methodical
(I had a 3 way tie for 2nd)
2. achievement oriented
2. self-motivated
2. practical
5. resourceful
6. reliable
7. sensitive
8. independent
9. supportive
10. adventuresome

It surprised me that creative and organized didn't make the list. I look forward to looking at Ian's list. He is often my opposite: I'm the introvert and he's the extrovert. I had to plan the bike trip, find a book with a trail, mark the trail on my map, get the bike ready, me ready, then go bike. Ian would of grabbed water, fixed up the bike and gone for a ride.

Deb took a class I'd love to take. It's about the Meyers-Briggs test (which was made by a mother-daughter duo!) She took the test then analyzed the different types of people by asking classmates how they'd approach situations, like going to Mexico. Introverts would plan the trip, find the best time of year to go, buy a ticket, pack, then go. And extrovert would buy a ticket and go!

That night, us three ladies, plus Mary Anne's date, went to OMSI. It's like the Exploratorium in San Francisco. It was from 7-9:30pm just for adults. That way you wouldn't have to share with kids (not that I don't like kids). There were local breweries and wineries with tastings and a chocolate maker. One winery puts wine bottles around baby pears, while still on the tree. The pear grows up to full size then the bottle is filled with pear brandy. It was amazing! The pear liquor was good too.

Silly me brought a camera with me to OMSI but forgot to use it. Just so you know, I got all girly and wore a mini skirt (Mary Anne's), borrowed really cute white wedges from Deb and carried a super cute, bright orange purse (also Mary Anne's). The only thing that was mine was the turquoise top. Now I see the appeal of having a sister, you can borrow clothes. I packed light so I didn't have any makeup, cute purse, heels or skirt with me. Ends up that worked out fine.

In a few hours I am heading to Eugene for the country fair. I won't be back in Portland until next week, so I might not be around free internet until then. Don't worry mom! I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    It's so great to read about your adventures. Thank you for these great posts! Not only does it make your mom feel good but your Aunt as well =)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sweetie, for posting.
    You made my gratitude list again.

    Sounds like some awesome times. Youa re in my prayers and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Love,
    It's your extroverted boyfriend here. Your blog is much more interesting than most others I've read in the past :P. Guess I should have been reading it all along *sigh*. As for me. I picked up 3 Terry Pratchett books to read, while prying by self away from MGO. One is the art of the Diskworld, I can't wait to show it to you!

    Ciao e besos.

    ReplyDelete