Saturday, March 15, 2014

Running out of gas

My bike gets crap gas mileage. We're talking 28 mpg for city riding. I blame it on the giant engine (1000cc), but really I have no idea what's going on. Even though I'm now mostly keeping a constant speed, she's now loaded down with about 100 pounds of gear.

For those of you that have driven down Highway One can agree with me that certain sections there are no towns at all and you're praying that you'll make it to the next gas station. There's no good place to break down- a cliff on one side and a mountain on the other, with no shoulder.

My range on the gas tank is 120 miles. Pretty bad huh? I hadnt realized how anxious I was about running out of gas, until I started carrying a liter of gas with me. I use it for my camper stove, but as a back up, it will give me an extra 10 miles. So far I've only used it once (besides one other time to start a camp fire). Should I be confessing this online? I'm not sure. But now you know.





1 comment:

  1. You know, it is a good thing that you always bring a liter of gas with you. You never really know when you would run out of gas. You’re right on poin there. Can you just imagine if you run out of gas in the middle of nowhere? It sounds like the opening of a horror movie to me. Haha!
    Kenny Isbell

    ReplyDelete