Saturday, August 16, 2008

Fri, Aug 8th, DAY 39

Judy and Clayton had plans for today, so they dropped me off early at the airport. As we were driving up, they asked me what airline I was traveling on. I had no idea. I hadn't even printed my e-ticket. I only knew the time it was departing Seattle and arriving in Denver. So they dropped me off in the middle of the airport and we said our goodbyes. Laughing to myself that I did this, I called Ian. He checked my email and gave me the information. Before this trip, there is no way I'd just show up at an airport with no idea who I was traveling with.

To pass the time, I picked up a blank journal and began writing ideas for business plans and sculptures. I also bought a book called "The witch of Portobello" by Paulo Coelho. It's about a woman who fights to be true to herself, despite other people's opinions.

There is an interesting mobile-like sculpture in the main area of the airport. It was of small metal chains (like for security necklaces) with small birds attached to them. From a distance it looked like a giant bird in flight. I loved the use of multiples and metaphor for the construction of the sculpture.

Once on the plane, I realized I haven't flown for 3 years. A lot has changed. It was creepy flying on Frontier, because in the back of every seat was a monitor. Around me, maybe 5 people paid money to watch a movie or to have cable. The rest of the people, with out exception, were watching the commercials for 4 hours! It was like they were mind-less drones.It reminded me of "Wall-E" where the people sit in chairs all day drinking from giant plastic cups. I stuffed a napkin around the screen to block the commericals. It was like that for several hours when the stewardess told me that I could dim the screen with the controls by my arm. I don't know why she told me this. My method worked great. I guess it's another example of analog versus digital.

I met Ian in Denver, where we rented a car and drove to his parent's house in Denver. I hadn't seen Ian since I was in Sacramento, which was 4 weeks ago. It was good to see him.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    I'm a big fan of Paulo Coelho! You will love this! He's the first best-selling
    author to be distributing for free his works on his blog:
    www.paulocoelhoblog.com


    Have a nice day!

    Aart

    ReplyDelete