Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Year's Resolutions 2009

Being a fanatic list-maker, creating New Year's Resolutions was a given. From past years, I've noticed that by writing down the thing I wanted to change, it often come about. Even if I wrote the resolution, sealed it in an envelope and opened it the following year. For the most part I accomplished/improved on areas from 2008's list.

Looking over last year's resolutions shows me the importance of creating measurable goals. The goals I wrote were open ended, "like learn to type." I did download a typing program (and used it many times), thus improving my accuracy and speed, but I'm not at the level I would like to be. This year the resolution is to create resolutions that are attainable and measurable but not overwhelming with guidelines :-)

Here's a sampling of this year's proposed changes:

1. Be active 30 minutes a day. This can include juggling, stretching, sculpting, running, swimming, taking yoga, pilates or step classes at the gym, fencing, biking... The point is to make daily movement a given like eating. Weekly and monthly rewards will be given, such as going cosmic bowling or getting a facial.

2. Read at least one book a month and blog about it. This can include books on tape or books mom and I will read out loud to each other. Check out the 2009 book list.

3. Take vitamins, ginko biloba and 8 glasses of water every day. One day I will be an older lady that everyone wonders at how she accomplishes so much. I don't want to drastically slow down, so I'm going to look after my body to encourage mobility and memory.

4. Create at least one new body of art and book a time to show it some where.

5. Break the habit of the "sugar binge" by not having sugar items in the house, like alcohol, sorbet or chocolate chips. I get stuck in a cycle of craving sugar, eating it, then constantly thinking about when I can eat more. I don't want food to control me. I'm not banning sugar from my diet, just drastically limiting it. It's ok for me to occasional go out to buy a sugary treat like a Mexican drink called Jarritos lime flavor.

6. Continue with last years resolution to eat strange produce. Variety is the spice of life!


What are your resolutions? Any tips on following through with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment