Friday, January 30, 2009

Free Art Supplies

Yesterday I was giddily dancing and singing all around the kitchen because of free art supplies. I’ve rediscovered Craigslist and Freecycle.org. It is super encouraging to me as an artist to receive free materials. It’s like the community is saying to me, “Yes you can afford to be an artist. Yes you can make art!” (It is also really fun getting to know some of the locals.)















Freecycle, found object artists haven
It's a yahoo group that most cities have, that people posts want they want to give away or receive. Everything is free. Yesterday I picked up 3 bags of working Christmas lights!!! The couple is getting ready to travel around in their 5th wheel, so they didn’t want to move the lights with them. They are such a nice couple. Thank you so much for giving the lights away! I am very excited to use them for the hanging lights that I am creating.

The site, like all yahoo groups, is dreadful. You have to request to join the local group, sign up for a yahoo ID, and then fill out another form for each group you want to join. I’ve tried joining in the past, but the site was so frustrating that I didn’t figure out how to reply to posts. This is super important- when you register, there is an option to get posts sent to your email. Don’t so it! I use to get 30 plus a day! This time around I chose to just see the posts on the freecycle website.







































(The record cover plates will soon be for sale. More details very soon.)

Craigslist, utopia for artists

On Craigslist, under discussions, there is a form for artists. In there I asked if there was a salvage yard in Sacramento. Within the hour a local artist asked about my art and what exactly I was looking for. I sent her my website url and said I was looking for records and a couple of other things. The painter replied that she has 2 boxes of records that I can have. The next day we met up with her kiddo at “Chicken Park” for coffee and she told me all about the Sacramento art scene. I am very grateful for her generosity. I can’t wait for her to have a show; I’ll be there opening night.

In the past I've asked for help in CL discussion forms with HTML code and literally within the hour, I had the answer to my perplexing problem.

Another helpful thing on CL is to post under “wanted” what you are looking for and the price that works for you. I posted that I’m looking for free records and Christmas lights and that day I was flooded with ideas on where to look.

Daily check the “for sale” section. I found 7 foot tree stakes for $1 each. I picked them up yesterday. (Have you noticed that yesterday was a super blessed day? Today I’m in the studio playing with my new gifts.)

Where do you find your art supplies?

7 comments:

  1. Nice post, thanks for the tips and ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krysthle- You are very welcome. I"d love to hear what you find and create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! An answer to a prayer! Thanks for your insight!
    -Rashida

    ReplyDelete
  4. i use freecycle but when i lost my car and cause on ssi/ssd i cant get to the only freecycle net town thats half hours 45 min travel by car

    might try the craigslist ... never have had luck with them ...

    but thanks for the info

    ReplyDelete
  5. I REALLY ENJOYED THIS ARTICLE. TOO BAD YOU DON'T LIVE IN ST PETE FL.I HAVE LOTS OF STUFF. IN FACT I'M GETTING READY TO POST ON CRAIGSLIST AND FREECYCLE. allyoutcast@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am trying to find free art supplies for my daughters classroom they do not seem to have much in her class this year and i am not sure where to look besides craigslist, since its for a school and young children i cant really do the 'dumpster dive" like people on yahoo kept suggesting.. im no artist by any means but when i was in school art was a very important class to me, kids can exspress themselves and get wrapped up in a fantasy land when creating and it breaks my heart knowing the kids have very little to work with. any tips or idea.. Rehann@live.com

    ReplyDelete