Thursday, January 29, 2009

Organizing on a budget

It's been 3.5 weeks since my studio went from this-




















to this-




















I've been making art in the backyard and on the kitchen table because until today, there wasn't space to work. I couldn't find tools, making myself very frustrated and irritable and tripping on things. Now there are shelves, hooks for tools, floor space, tables to work on and cubbyholes.
















Using long screws I attached the scrap 2x4 into 2 studs. How did I find the stud without a stud finder? Behind the 2x4 there is a long row of nail holes, 1 inch apart. To find the first stud I tried each side of the outlet, but for some strange reason, there was no stud. Once I found 1 stud I measured out 16 inches and found the other.
















Then hammering in nails, I hung up my tools alphabetically. Just kidding. But that is something I'd consider. I actually organized them by similar shape.
















Once everyone was up on the wall, I wrote with a thin tip sharpie where the tools belong. I thought about using peg board, but then I'd have to buy it. I've always wanted my tools on the wall because it reminds me of all of my late Grandpas and Great Grandpas.





















Instead of making shelves, I used free milk crate that I've had for years. At one point they helped keep up one end of my bed while the other end rested on my 3 foot high dresser. This made for lots of storage. They also have held up a wooden table that Ian made for me. I moved with them here. The crates are heavy duty, interlock when stacked and a perfect size for books (so you can't overload a box or blow out the bottom).





















The crates on the far right have the side cut out of them for easy access. I used a reciprocating saw, aka sawzah, with a blade for cutting metal. (FYI-cutting crates is super loud, so wear ear plugs.Sorry I sound like such a mom.) Cutting the plastic leaves the edges sharp, but I told myself to be careful. We'll see how long until I get cut.
















I put up these 2x4s several weeks ago, but hadn't posted any photos because it was a bear to get a photo from that direction. To make space in the studio, I'm trying to put as many things on the wall. Lots of things are tacked on like my apron, respirator, dust masks in ziplock bags and a roll of chicken wire.





















Using L shaped brackets I drilled them into the 2x4s then into the wall. Be sure to find several studs or else it's coming off of the wall.
















The problem with being an artist is that something that is typically tossed in the trash breaks my heart to be wasteful. So I use glass spaghetti jars to hold my screws and a plastic container for Trader Joe's addicting chocolate covered espresso beans for nails.

Cost for organizing the studio-nada. Took a long afternoon of hard work. Must admit I kept peaking in all evening to look at my tools hanging on the wall. I love being in the room now. Can't wait until tomorrow. I plan on being in there all day!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long)
    so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any points for inexperienced blog writers? I'd really appreciate it.


    my website women's armitron watches

    ReplyDelete