Sunday, February 1, 2009

Week 4

I tried to make this post short, except a lot was accomplished this week. So I included lots of photos to keep it interesting.


Ozolinsh Blue-Footed Boobie




















Naked, angry, plaster blue-footed boobie. (It's a real bird. My brother told me so.) I cast the bird from a mold I made of his ceramic brother. Let me tell you how great it feels to have this done after thinking about it for 4 years!!! I am so happy with the result. I can't wait to give it to my brother for his birthday in a couple of weeks.




























































































Where the magic took place-on top of an orange paint can to save my neck! The laptop helped out a ton by giving me reference for the Shark's jersey and the spelling of Tim's favorite defense man, Ozolinsh. It only took 10 hours, house paint, Krylon crystal clear spray and 3 thin tip sharpies.


Record Cover Plates








































  • Sealed, adjusted and installed the prototypes at my Aunt and Uncle's house
  • Received a gift of 2 boxes of records thanks to a very generous local painter that I found on Craigslist in the artists' form. My favorite record is of the Mickey Mouse Club. When I was 5 and Tim was 6, we'd exercise in front of the TV trying to follow along with Disney's Mousersize. The home video is super adorable.
  • Researched on etsy.com the price range for homemade cover plates-$8.50


Hanging Lights- In need of a better name!
There is one completed light, with 5 sections to it, but I haven't taken any photos of it yet. Image 5 more glowing lampshades hanging inside of this "sock," about 7 feet tall. The plan is to make more this week- pictures real soon.

Any ideas for a name, other than stretchy hanging light??? Suggestions welcome.








































  • Knit 5 feet of black elastic
  • Found another ideal cup for the lampshade at the thrift store. I'm starting to be recognized as a regular.
  • Placed an ad on Craigslist and FreeCycle for 3 string, small bulb Christmas lights that work. Thanks to a couple on FC, they gave me 3 bags of lights!

Organizing




















WOW! It's the floor! And no, I didn't cram everything in the closet. The closet is already full and inventoried. I am so close to being unpacked and organized. About 8 boxes to go.
















Leaving table and floor space to make art, makes the walls for tools and art supplies. I've gone a bit nuts with nails as hooks. I even hung up the waffle iron in the kitchen with three 16 penny nails. The nice thing is that I don't have to hunt for it anymore. My dream kitchen would be laid out like my studio; no cupboards. Everything hanging on the wall and outlined so it would be put back in the exact same spot.





















I literally moved the Braille boards seven times around the studio floor, until I realized they had to go on the wall. I cleaned off the top of the orange bookshelf and designated it for office supplies. Can you tell I don't use the printer all that often?
















After rearranging my room, I have so much more space! It's a weird concept when you think of it. Where is this extra space coming from? Either way I can now use either the laptop or the sewing machine without moving either one. It's the little things that make me so happy.


Mini Tipis
  • Made prototype and experimented with various stitching patterns that my sewing machine can do. Also played around with a faster way to construct them.
  • Tied up tripod for 30 mini tipis all around 8-12 inches tall
  • Stay tuned for photos. It will be worth the wait.

Big Tipis
  • Painted some more on the Kandinsktipi
  • Bought 8-8 foot tree stakes- yah for Craigslist!
  • Had this idea about renting out 10 foot tipis at the drive-in. Maybe show a Western movie. The drive-in is also seen from the freeway, so bingo! on the advertising for both the theater and for me.

Random














  • Rediscovered Craigslist and FreeCycle. Thank you mom for helping me out by registering me with FreeCycle. By doing that I gave them one last try (due to confusing web design) and I am so glad I did. Hello free art supplies!
  • Made list of goals: 1) expand portfolio, 2) generate income. It's sad I needed to write these down, but I have issues with staying focused. Everything is so new and shiny that I bounce around.
  • Bought Wellingtons for when the grass is wet in the backyard. These black boots take me back to England. Plus I am partial to “ingtons”. Seriously. I also found a super cute and warm, cheap hat from the thrift store, that covers my ears. I can't wait to wear my boots and hat to go paint the tipi!
  • Blogged a ton
  • Received blurb books within 4 days of ordering. Mom is thrilled with her copy. I am really pleased to. Order your own at blurb's site.

Weekly Challenge
Being a natural list maker and planner, I tend to get myself stuck in the planning stage until the entire project is figured out. Following this strategy is why I had a plaster boobie, unpainted for 4 years. If the end result isn't planned to meet my high expectations, then I often won't start the project. The thinking is why waste time making something when I don't know the exact direction.

I've noticed that I admire those who have a general plan, start working and revise as they create. Now I am letting myself plan a week out in advance, instead of 3 months (aka a semester, which no longer applies to me). A week is a doable amount of time. It reduces stress and worrying.

I get scared and shut down when I think about the future. I really do have to take art making one step at a time: 1) create prototypes, 2) time myself and price the entire project, 3) create an inventory, 4) market and sell art, and 5) revise design and keep working.

Writing what I did over the past 7 days keeps me accountable. I doubt anyone would ever write a complaint demanding for the latest "Happenings in the Studio," but it's motivation all the same. Since I don't have a network here of artists or an assistant, my blogging will be my support system.

I tend to dwell on what didn't get accomplished. But by organizing what was completed in a week, I relax and acknowledge that I am making progress.




read:
Week 5 HITS
Week 3 HITS
Table of Contents for HITS (Happenings in the Studio)





2 comments:

  1. Wow - you have accomplished a lot this past week. I love reading and seeing your photos. It inspires me too.

    I am looking forward to seeing your mini tipis.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet. Thanks for your encouragement. This week it's "focus, focus and um, what was I saying?"

    I'm going to knock out 2 big projects-the records and the mini tipis. Once both boxes of records are cut up and posted on etzy and ebay, can I chose another project. For the mini tipis I'm so excited about them and want to make, install and take photos. It is going to be so funny!

    You inspire me tambien. It helps to get up early when you are up and at them. Except I doubt I'll ever voluntarily get up at 5am to write a paper.

    ReplyDelete