Sunday, January 13, 2008

I finished another book

Last night, I finished up another book, "The Guerrilla Girls' Bedside Companion to the History of Western Art" by the Guerrilla Girls. I'd only seen a poster of theirs before reading this book.

In the intro they explain their disdain for "Gardener's Art Through the Ages," which was my textbook in college for three art history classes. Gardener's is a book covering white male art. It rarely lists women or artists of color.

The book has a quirky layouts and lots of sidebars full of humor. For each century, there is a list of womens' rights. It is interesting, and often sad, how restricted women have lived.

The Guerrilla Girls and I don't see eye to eye on everything, but I agree that women should be paid the same for their art as men.

1 comment:

  1. Have u try the online bookstore

    http://www.cocomartini.com/

    I get all my textbooks for this semester from this bookstore. All are brand new and 60%off discount from normal price. See if any help.

    hehe ^_^

    ReplyDelete