Sunday, October 12, 2008

Using Your Creative Powers

"Artists are first and foremost creative people, and creativity applied in any arena transcends whatever apparent limitations there are. Creativity, by definition, changes everything."
-Cay Lang, author of Taking the Leap: Building a Career as a Visual Artist


Whenever I start to worry, (which is often,) I remind myself that I am a creative. There is a solution. Even though I prefer to use my creative powers to make art, they can be used in other places. How about figuring out how to make a living as a sculptor? Or writing my artist's resume? Or organizing my studio?

It's good to get into the habit of asking yourself, "How can I do this?" instead of "Can I do this?"

When constructing a ten-foot tipi I hadn't considered failure. How could I mess it up? It's just canvas, rope and wood. I had read a kids' book on the construction and watched utube videos on how to stand up the poles. A friend and I pitched the tipi several times before making it stable. We figured out how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment