Thursday, December 17, 2009

Motorized Swinging Bed















Mexican Swinging Bed


My favorite place to sleep is outside. Second best is being rocked in a hammock. The downside to a hammock is not having the support of a mattress and box spring and having to rock yourself.

I propose making myself (eventually) a motorized swinging bed,
with a headboard designed for reading comfortably in bed, plus a colorful art installation on the ceiling. Once I have an apartment and know the height of the ceiling, I can decide if the bed will hang or if it will have the supports on the floor.



Here's the inspiration for my future customized bed:
















Freestanding Swinging Bed
I like it that the wires are minimal and don't make it feel like a claustrophobic swinging tent, like so many other designs.






















Electrically Operated Swing
There's no way I'd make a swinging bed and rock myself- we're talking a pimped out motorized cradle!!!





















Bed on Pulleys
I love the idea of having it hoisted up out of the way, creating floor space for yoga.


















How I'd get down from my elevated swinging bed...via slide of course! I'd have a spiral slide if I had high ceilings.



I can't imaging living a "normal" life, in a "typical" apartment. Perhaps being abnormal is what draws me to being a fine artist. The field is not commercial driven (thankfully), and art patrons no longer provide full support for artists (unfortunately) making this career path feel uncharted for the 21st century. The question is, "How do fine artists make a living wage doing what they love?" As an artist I can modify and alter my career to my liking. It's mysterious, romantic, super challenging, frustrating but rewarding.


3 comments:

  1. Those are some interesting beds!

    Thanks for your comments this year! It means a lot to me to hear from other artists. Know that your thoughts are always appreciated!

    Have a merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    Peace and Laughter,
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I get one of those hanging beds as in the photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bill,
    I don't know where to buy a motorized bed. I plan on eventually making one. Let me know what you find. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete