Thursday, September 11, 2008

paint your next artist's statement

This week I came to the realization that an artist's statement isn't proof that the artist failed to communicate what they tried to say through their art. Rather it is a tool to reveal another layer of the message, process and mindset of the creator. Without it, how would we hear about the happy accidents that they came across? Or the research that was done to create the sculpture?

As always with left brain activities, I have to remind myself that as an artist I can use my creative powers anywhere, including the intimidating, rule centered world of grammar. I treated paperwork, such as my artist's packet, web page design and art residency applications, with the same playfulness and spontaneity as I would making a sculpture. To get past my mental block of designing my web page on the 2D plane of the monitor screen, I busted out real paper, moss, and tempura paint, and let myself create. Then I translated the shapes and color scheme that I came up with, into a Photoshop template for my webmaster to use.

The thing that I remember the most from my art apprenticeship to a Colorado oil painter, is to play. If you are tense, the results will be hampered. Relax and have fun. I agree that paper work isn't more exciting than making art, but it can be treated in a playful manner of collage, drawing and painting. Try to have fun with it. You have to do it either way.

1 comment:

  1. I love this statement: "I agree that paper work isn't more exciting than making art, but it can be treated in a playful manner of collage, drawing and painting."

    I'm going to look and see what paperwork today I can treat with collage, drawing and painting!

    ReplyDelete