Friday, February 29, 2008

where I've been

My mom sends me emails asking why I haven't posted in such a long time. Here's the low down for what I've been up too.
1. For the last 2 weeks I've been making ceramic props for a documentary on the history of tattooing. It will be on the history channel, hopefully this summer. The film company sent me a line drawing of some artifacts and I sculpted them. I could see pursuing more jobs like this. I really like the research of the artifact.

2. I even made my own knitting needles using a 3/4" dowel. I cut it in half, then sanded it with a circular belt sander. I did it in less than 15 minutes. If I had bought needles it would of cost $15. Instead I paid $2 for a dowel. Knitting with them tires my arms, but it's a good tired. Like you're working instead of just sitting. So far this gauge is my favorite. It's loose enough to pull and touch and still holds form.

3. My bf bought a new Nintendo DS game called Professor Layton and the Curious Village. It's a mystery game made up of puzzles!!! I rarely get hooked on a game, but this one is amazing.

4. Mostly I have been at my second home, which is my studio at school. The concept for my latest sculpture finally solidified. It is about how do you explain color to a blind person. In a previous post on kids' books in braille, I showed photos of the raised pictures. The pages are often thin plastic with pictures and braille raised on them. There's no color. In one of Leo Lioni's books transcribed into braille, there's a texture/color legend. Each texture represents a color. I am making a sculpture based on this same idea.

5. While knitting, I've been listening to books on cassette tape. In the sculpture building, there is so much clay dust in that air, it messed up my CD player, so I am kick'n it old school. I really like listening to tape because they are interactive (u have to flip them over and change them often). Once a CD is scratched, it's often toast. Cassette tapes are not usually checked out at the city library, so they're all mine. :-)

I listened to The Giver and the Messenger by Lois Lowry. I read these before, but I missed them. I forgot so many key events, it was like reading it for the first time. Even though they are thought of as kids' books, they talk about serious topics. Ironically, the theme of the Giver, which is sameness, is the same concept for my sculpture. Since then the sculpture has evolved into teaching braille.

I listened to 3 of 8 tapes on Gulliver's Travels. I keep waiting for it to get good. I loved the movie as a kid, but this book is so boring. I finally decided to end the torture and move on to a new story.

Then I picked up Cold Sassy Tree per suggestion of a friend. I had her listen to part of the reading and she was appalled. The main character who narrates the story is from the south. But his accent and pace of talking is definitely not southern. He reads the story so fast you don't have time to imagine the details he reads. I am going to get the book and read it myself.

As a treat for when I am at home not doing anything, which is hard for me to do, I am re-reading Gone with the Wind. I read it in high school so I am long over due. I forgot how much I have missed these characters. I havent even made it to the opening ball, but I can hardly wait!

2 comments:

  1. Wahoo! You are back.

    Great post. I'll interact with it later as I need to get ready for church.

    See I told you I check your site every morning while eating brekkie. :-)

    ReplyDelete