Thursday, May 13, 2010

flying frogs



Every year one American illustrator of Childrens books is awarded the golden Caldecott medal. There are also several silver awards. I'm half way through the gold winners, which dates back to 1938.




So far my favorite books are by author/illustrator David Wiesman. His stories are quirky and beautifully illustrated. He is also one of the few artists who have been awarded multiple Caldecott awards.

I've discovered from reading so many kid's books, that I prefer to be awed by the art and story line, but to have little or no text. My mind likes to fill in the blanks.




I really love reading Tuesday, because it has so few words. Plus the frogs on lilly pads crack me up as they fly around getting into mischief.




To read about David Weisner's creative process in making Tuesday, check out his website here.

To read the Caldecott winners yourself, go to this link for a list of the books.

What's your favorite Caldecott book?

No comments:

Post a Comment