Monday, May 3, 2010

April HITS



Hello, Welcome to the April Happenings in the Studio (HITS), where I recap what I did as a visual artist for the last 30 days.

At the beginning of the month I had a henna party for my cousins, where I touched up one tattoo that I did in March and painted two tribal tats for my 8 year-old cousin. I wish I had photos because she looked so cool with them on.

I’m transitioning over from my custom framing job to doing full-time U.S. Census work. It is so nice having more hours, higher pay and a flexible schedule.

I spent a couple of days in the San Francisco Bay Area fellowshipping with fellow artists and making art. One morning I helped my friend Celeste Flores with making a rubber mold of her dancer, so she can cast it for a film. Part of the time I assisted Philip Krohn with his stop motion film starring plastic bottle caps. And I installed my bouncy ball curtain!



For more details about the curtain click here. All of the stunning photos of the bouncy ball curtain are by Luke Goodman.

Now that the bouncy ball curtain is completed I’m working on my next commission for the same client. It is going to be lanterns made out of bouncy balls that hang around the bedroom. I got the idea for stringing the bouncy balls on wire after hearing about gummy bear chandeliers. For now I’ve made paper stand-in lanterns to get an idea of how many I need to create and I’ve researched different designs for lanterns.




This gummy bear chandelier inspired my current project of bouncy ball lanterns.




Of course I had to skewer my own gummy bears just to see what it’s like, plus I want to see if they get brittle. So far they are a tad dry after sitting out for a week.


Enjoy the new work in the below video. I'll see you at the beginning of June for the next episode of HITS (Happenings in the Studio).


video

HITS Table of Contents

1 comment:

  1. What a great month. I bet you didn't realize that you did so much this past month until you made your video. It was fun recapping it with you.

    ReplyDelete