Friday, January 1, 2010

2010 Book List



As a kid I kept a binder of the books I read, along with way too much information like the number of pages per book. I'd have a goal for the year (which I always surpassed) and I'd get a reward from my parents for reaching my goal.

Keeping in the tradition of making lists, this post is the regularly updated 2010 book list.

To check out last year's list, click here.


November



21. Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce

(finished rereading for the um-teenth time)

The story is about Alanna of Trebond who disguises herself as a boy so she can train to be a knight. Because of those books I've pretended to be a knight with red hair and violet eyes. I LOVE these books!


20. PPFA Guidelines to framing works of art on paper


(Currently reading for preparation on taking the exam to be a certified picture framer.)


October



19. Founding Mothers: The Women who raised our nation by Cokie Roberts

(read 1/4 of the book and called it good)

When I started reading the book I had just moved and started a new job, and just needed a book to unwind too, which this wasn't it. I kept confusing the characters and falling asleep, so I finally put it down. It's an interesting book but it's not for me.


September



18. Supervisory Management: The Art of Inspiring, Empowering, and Developing People, by Donald C. Mosley, Ph.D., Paul H. Pietri, D.B.A., and Donald C. Mosley, Jr., Ph.D.

(Still reading.)

So far I havent gotten much out of this textbook for the supervisory class that I am taking, but I have hopes it will get better.


June



17. Blended Learning for Higher Education by Vaughan Garrison

(1/2 way done)

Written by a PhD, who uses much drier language then I am use to, but still interesting stuff to learn about classes being designed to both meet face to face and on the Internet. It focuses on teaching theory (theory has always alluded me, unless it is quickly followed by concrete examples and how it applies to my life), which the book does thankfully include examples of excellent hybrid classes.




16. Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms by Will Richardson

(almost finished)

Written in an excited and simple terms, I am loving this book and everything that it's teaching me. It's making my life easier and open to more possibilities.




15. Crush it! by Gary Vaynerchuk

(finished reading)

Practical and simple advice (and tons of hard work) on how to make a living off what you love to do. This was a very thoughtful birthday present from my aunt and uncle. Merci!




14. The Caldecott medal is given to the best picture for the year of it's publication. One gold is chosen per year (since 1938 to present) and any number of honor mentions are chosen.

(currently reading)

Since April I have read all of the gold winners (72 books), plus a few of the silver winners. I love seeing the variety of mediums and story lines. It is fascinating how the stories were longer, more complex and had longer sentences than the modern books.


May




13. Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

(finished)

A bizarre and a tad creepy story about knocking off the Hogfather and the tooth fairy. The book made me laugh and wish I could meet the Hogfather and the like.


April



12.On Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham

(finished reading for a book club with some college friends. Not sure if anyone else has completed it too. It's a whoping 570 pages!)




11. The Curious Garden by Peter Brown

(Kid's book- finished reading)

The art is beautiful and the story is endearing about a kid who changes the city by growning gardens on the abandoned railway tracks.






10. The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

(finished reading)

In the Harry Potter series, this book of children's stories is referenced. It was much too quick of a read (about 2 hours), but it was still fun to read.


February



9. Career opportunities in Art by Susan Haubebstock and David Joselit

(finished reading)

An immensely helpful book that broke down the careers into duties and qualifications.




8. Careers in Art by Blythe Camenson

(completed reading)

This book had helpful interviews of artists in various focuses, which helped add insight to the careers.




7. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

(finished reading)

For being a malcontent person, this book has lots of poniente and helpful chunks for me, even though there are parts that I don't agree with.

Dwelling on the past brings up depression, and constantly planning for the future causes anxiety, but being present in the Now is the most rewarding.



6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

(finished reading)

I dont know how I managed to pull it off, but I just now read book 7 in the series without hearing any of the spoilers. I keep wishing my life was as exciting as Harry's (I'd be happy with being a Hogwarts student), so I'm trying to make my days more interesting and stop resisting life.





5. The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn

(finished reading)

Another homework book for the financial class I'm taking, which was as much as a gem as Taming the Money Monster.


January



5. Thud! by Terry Pratchett

(finished listening too)
Another zany story by Pratchett, this time involving the Watch, trolls and dwarfs.





4. Taming the Money Monster by Ron Blue

(finished reading)

This is required reading for a class I'm going to take starting in mid February on debt. I am in need of some hope that my student loans won't always be apart of my life.






3. Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett

(Started listening to this at Christmas time and just now finished it, while painting a plaster bird.)

One of my favorite stories by Pratchett, because it involves the eccentric witches of the Ramtops.





2. The Ultimate Juggling Book by Richard Dingman

(loved reading it!)
This year I am determined to juggle more then 3 objects at once. So far I'm really good at throwing and fetching 5 balls at once. This is going to take a lot of work.





1. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

(currently reading)

One goal for the year is to improve my photography. Particularly, to be more observant of the light when I photograph and to shoot flattering photos of moving objects. My aunt who is a photographer lent me this book (thank you!) I'll share a bit of what I learned when I'm done with the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment