Monday, March 9, 2009

Importance of a Home button on a blog

If you track your site, you know that people type in the most random phrases like, "what to do with beets" and that's how they find your site. With this said, in order to keep them on your site, you need to have an obvious way for them to find the new content. For me, I wanted a "home button."

Literally, since I set up this blog over a year ago, I've been trying to figure out how to ad one. Not too savvy with HTML (yet), that I had to resort to looking at tons of google searches and pick through the technical jargon. Today I had enough. I just wanted it done, so I wouldn't have to keep moving it from one to-do list to the next. So I went to Craigslist and asked for help in the arts discussion forum.

Jackie pointed me in the right direction on how to create a "home button." She is training to run a marathon! Go Jackie!

Code for a "Home Button"
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex5/ns4home.htm


For me, I couldn't get the code to work from the above link by pasting it in the HTML template on my blog. An error message popped up when I clicked on the home button. So instead I pasted the code into a gadget under the layout section. This is the same as adding a widget. Super easy! After pasting the code in a text widget, I hit save and closed the window. Then opened up the text widget and I highlighted the code and hyper linked it to my blog. Amazingly it worked.

I hope I gave you HTML techies a good laugh. Thank you again Jackie!

1 comment: