Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Last Saturday, I took a tour of the San Francisco transfer station (aka the dump). They have a residency program open to all artists: photographers, sculptors... They provide studio space and tools (like welding equipment and wood working tools). The artist also gets unlimited supplies from the dump. Apparently anything you can imagine goes through there, like working ipods, laptops, brand new furniture, buckets of paint, wood.

The dump puts on a show at the end of the 4 month residency and covers the cost of postcards and food. The awesome part is that they pay you to make art! If you are a p/t artist you get a check for $1000 per month and twice that for f/t!! It's August 30th. It is required to take a tour before applying, which is offered just once a month.

Check out the info at http://www.sfrecycling.com/AIR/apply.php?t=d


3 comments:

  1. This sounds very cool. Are you going for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super excited about this residency, since they are biking distance away and they pay the artist to make art. I am brainstorming right now for my proposal. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you posted this. I was so fascinated when you told me about your tour of the dump.

    When do you find out if you got the residency?

    ReplyDelete